Summary Public Library Internet Policies

Pamela Belfor pbelfor at frii.com
Tue Jul 29 18:42:37 EDT 1997

Thanks to all who completed the survey!  I don't believe it ever appeared
on PubLib.  Those who responded received the survey through web4lib or
libnet (Colorado Libraries).  The numbers don't always add up, but trends
can be identified.

Size of public libraries responding-
19  less than 30,000
12  between 30,000 and 60,000
4   between 60,001 and 80,000
2   between 80,001 and 100,000
10  larger than 100,000

Time libraries have been offering Internet access to the public-
13  less than 1 year
27  more than 1 year but less than 3
7   3 to 5 years
0   more than 5 years

Location of terminals available for public to access Internet-
24  adult services only
0   youth services only
4   media or technology area only
26  adult and youth services
4   adult, youth and media

38  offered a graphical browser
1   offered text based only
10  offered both

40  offered access to anyone visiting the library
9   offered access to library card holders only

Registration requirements-
6   required one-time registration for the use of Internet for all users
2   required registration ONLY of users under a set age with the signature
of parent or guardian
    (4 in all required registration of youth; the set ages were different
in all 4 libraries: 14,15,16,17)
37  did NOT require one-time registration

Administration of Internet stations-
31  Users are required to sign-up at a designated service area.
17  NO sign-up required.  Users may use any available computer.
1   Users are given a common password allowing access good for a specified
period only.
1   Each user is assigned a unique individual password (or number) that
does not change.

Training for public-
1   Initial orientation to using the Net required before given access
29  No specific training required
25  Offer voluntary classes

Following uses are allowed-
16  Newsgroups
24  Email   (There were different restrictions, most limited it to web
based e-mail, a few allowed it if user
             had a commercial provider.)
22  Chat    (Most libraries limit it to web based only)
11  MOOS and MUDS (web based only)
    Some of the libraries that responded said they allowed web based chat
and moos/muds because there was no
    way that they could effectively control access.
    One library also indicated that they allowed ftp.

Decisions were based on-  (many responding indicated both reasons were used
in decision making)
19  Use of limited resources
31  What we feel is appropriate for our library

Filtering software-
3   On all Net access stations
3   Only on Net access stations in youth area
41  NOT at all
    Used were Webster, Surfwatch, and CyberPatrol.

Pam Belfor
Loveland Public Library
Loveland, CO
pbelfor at frii.com