Do people "pass by" plain-text sites?

Karl Pearson pills at svpal.org
Tue Jul 29 17:26:18 EDT 1997

I want to put in a plug for plain-text, too.

I maintain an ISP account that provides Lynx, as well as another with
which I use Netscape. I find that at least 90% of the time I'll use Lynx
in preference to Netscape because the speed of access is much, much
greater. Lynx comes up and is ready to use almost instantaneously.
Netscape takes what seems like an age to load up (even if it's really just a
half a minute or so).

I really appreciate having both the text and the graphics browsers, so I
can match the tool to the kind of information I'm after. Most information
of interest is textual, and Lynx is preferable. Some information -- the
Marscape panorama for example -- requires a graphics browser.

Maybe someday the graphics browsing capability will come close to
plain-text speed, for a reasonable price, but I'm not holding my breath...

-- Karl Pearson, pills at svpal.org
   Lockheed Martin Technical Operations
   PO Box 61687, Sunnyvale, CA 94088-1687

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Shaken Angel wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, KAREN SCHNEIDER wrote:
>
> > On another discussion list, in the midst of a debate about the
> > relative value of graphics on websites, the statement was made
> > that "there are MANY,MANY people who will pass a plain, text
> > only (no graphics) site right by."
> >
> > Do we actually *know* this?  Or is it a WOM (Word Of Mouth)?
>
> I for one use Lynx for about ninety percent of my WWW browsing
snip - snip
> I often get annoyed when I see sites *with* high graphical content even
> when using Netscape.
snip - snip