To Set Up A Chat Room?

Nell Yang nelly at wsulaw.edu
Tue Jul 29 14:14:56 EDT 1997

Hi, Listmates:

An administrator from my Law School asked me about the following
question. I've attempted to reply them with my very limited
knowledge.  Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folks can help me
out and give me some comments.

How to Set Up Chat Room Program in our Web Site?

There are numerous resources on the web for this.  Since currently the
School uses Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 as our web browser,  I
originally recommended using  Microsoft Chat,  which can be download
on  Microsoft Site for free!

However, we are  assuming that our students do not all use Explorer
(in fact, I believe Netscape has a slight edge), I further
recommended ICHAT software, which is  compatible with both Explorer
and Netscape (but is it free?)

I need some guidance as of how to set up a chat room program for our
school.  Do we need a chat room server (we have our own Internet
server)?   I appreciate for any input.

Nell
Nell Yang
Computer Services Librarian
Western State University
College of Law Library
1111 N. State College Blvd.
Fullerton, CA 92631
Tel: 714-738-1000 Ext. 2114     Fax: 714-871-4806
E-mail: nelly at wsulaw.edu        http://www.wsulaw.edu