URLs: Mean time of survival?

Heinrich C. Kuhn HeinrichC.Kuhn at mpg-gv.mpg.de
Mon Jul 28 11:20:00 EDT 1997

Dear Mr Thayer,

   thanks for your mail via Web4Lib (BTW: my email-address
is: kuhn at mpg-gv.mpg.de - irrespective of any terrible
things my [or anybod else's] nasty mailer may do to my headers ...).

> >    Does anyone know about any statistical information
> > on the "mean time of survival" of URLs and electronic
> > documents on the web in relation to a) type of ressource,
> > b) status of author, c) subject?
>

> Alas no, but I have a purely anecdotal opinion from nearly 2 years spent
> running RomanSites-L (for info about RomanSites-L, see end of message),
> which involves visiting maybe an average of 100 sites a day, i.e., maybe
> 500 or 600 pages=URLs a day:
>
> 1. Within the narrower field of "things relevant to Roman antiquity", I've
> noticed almost *no* correlation with any of the 3 items above, with the
> single exception of students and academic years or the end of their
> university career. Even then, good sites get kept at the same URL -- by
> someone -- after the student leaves, even if they are unmaintained.

Happy antiquity! (I'm maintaining - well, sometimes at least - an
internetography on renaissance intellectual history
[http://www.gwdg.de/~hkuhn1/pagehist.html] and have had to ex-
perience, that Ingo Schuetze's really excellent pages on Giro-
lamo Cardano apparently entered electronic nirwana after he left
his hosting institution, and that other fine sites changed their
URL or even vanished as well.) BTW: I *do* share Karen Schneider's
views, that it's not only electronic documents that vanish and that
"information is hard work".

> I'd be interested in any general conclusions you might find, BTW!

I'll report here about any "hard" findings that might be mailed to
me personally.

With renewed thanks

Heinrich C. Kuhn
!   Dr. Heinrich C. Kuhn   (coordinator libraries &c.)
!   Max-Planck-Gesellschaft / Generalverwaltung VIIIb3
!   Postfach 10 10 62 /  D-80084 Muenchen
!   T: +49-89-2108 1563 / F: +49-89-2108 1565
!   eMail: hck at ipp-garching.mpg.de, kuhn at mpg-gv.mpg.de