User Surveys Via the Web

Howard HH Hume HUMEH at NDU.EDU
Mon Jul 28 09:33:28 EDT 1997

I'm looking for recommendations from libraries which have used software
packages to do user surveys via the web.  What package(s) have you
used?  Have you been pleased or displeased and why?  Etc.  I don't believe
we have the technical expertise to develop this in house which is why we are
looking for, essentially, a turnkey product.

We have been conducting 2 annual surveys of students and faculty on
services and resources.  The survey has been distributed in paper and the
analysis done manually. An intranet was established during the past year (we
already had a web page) and we think the surveys would be less a workload
if we could distribute via the web and load replies directly into a database for
analysis.

We are a small academic library and have distributed about 800 surveys with
a 40% return rate.  The most recent survey consisted of 18 questions.  7
questions requested a free text response (e.g. What did you like best about
the library?); and the remainder were either Yes/No questions or asked
respondents to rate the frequency of use or the value of
resources/services/materials on a 1-2-3 scale.  We are not locked into any
particular format of the questions, etc.

Please send replies directly to me; I will summarize responses for the list by
mid-August.  Thanks very much.

Howard Hume
Collection Development Librarian
National Defense University