public access to academic resources

Karen Harker harker at medcat.library.swmed.edu
Fri Jul 25 13:09:42 EDT 1997

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 CAROLINE at lib.uttyl.edu wrote:

> We have six 486 PCs running Windows, Netscape and a
> Z client, etc..  We are a Texas academic library, we are
> our own internet service provider and we
> restrict access to the services provided on these PCs
> (this includes proprietary databases and GUI net access) to
> use by current faculty, students, and staff.

This is a small collection, which you may want to keep in mind.

> I am beginning to wonder about the legality of restricting
> these services.  We are a public institution and are funded
> by state monies.  Our students, however, pay some pretty
> heavy access fees as part of their fee bill.

The UT Southwestern Medical Center Library does allow public access to all
facilities in the library.  This includes Internet access, as well as
Medline (among others), applications and (currently) free printing.  We
tell the public this, but we do not publicize it.  The laypersons do tend
to require the most personal service, but being a public institution has
the effect of opening our doors.  I do not know when or how the open door
policy came about (if it ever was any different).

> Does anyone know where I can find information about laws
> pertaining to the legality of restricing these resources?
>
> TIA,
>
> Caroline Allen Higgins
> Reference/Systems/Archives
> UT Tyler Muntz Library