W3Launch/Computer Reboot

Bennett, Roy - Library BENNETR at fsa.wou.edu
Fri Jul 25 14:02:27 EDT 1997

I am in the process of working with W3Launch to develop access to our
CD LAN through our library's web page.  I have been fairly satisfied
with how W3Launch performs when accessing network-based applications;
I won't go into these details here.

I would like to develop web access to local CD-ROM databases used on
several workstations that have Pioneer CD-ROM changers.  Until now,
our user interface for all DOS-based applications has been our menu
system, Direct Access Network for DOS (version 5.1).  When a user
selects a local database from this main menu at one of the
workstations with a Pionneer unit, the computer copies another set
of AUTOEXEC and CONFIG files and re-boots, loading the necessary
drivers for the Pioneer drive and starting a local menu.  I have
developed this scenario to avoid conflicts between the Pioneer CD-ROM
and network drivers, and their logical drive letters, etc.

I would like to achieve something similar through a web page, where
users at these workstations would click on a link to a local
database, causing the computer to re-boot as discussed above.  My
specific problem is that, after starting Netscape, if I first click
on a link to a local database, this scenario works fine.  If,
however, I click on a link to a local database after going to a link
to a networked database, the computer re-boots as directed for the
local database, but does not copy the set of AUTOEXEC and CONFIG files
for the local Pioneer configuration, resulting in a re-boot back to
Windows.  I have also noticed that W3Launch places copies of the .W3L
files in the Windows temp directory; could this have something to do
with my problem?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience
working with W3Launch; is there anyone who has attempted something
similar?

Thank you, in advance.

Dale E. Goodell
User Support Analyst