advice on cgi files

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Fri Jul 25 10:36:59 EDT 1997

Currently, we don't have our own web server and have a subdirectory on the
main campus web server, although we're hoping to have our own web server
within the year. Thus, we have no control over the cgi-bin directory.  We
can't ftp files into the cgi-bin directory and it's really a nuisance to
have to get the campus webmaster to load the files for us.  We have found
that cgi files will work anywhere in our directory, outside of the cgi-bin
directory. In fact, we have a few already in our subdirectory that have
been running for a year now. So, until we get our own server, we're
contemplating moving all our cgi files into our directory so we can have
control over them.  I'll have to rewrite bits of the files, but that's not
a major thing.

Here's my question, is moving the cgi files out of the cgi-bin directory a
wise thing to do?  Opinions?

Thanks everyone.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu