Techie Question -- Windows 95

Richard M. Page rpage at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Jul 24 14:17:24 EDT 1997

   Hi! We're using a couple of different methods, depending upon which type of
   network we need to login to.

   For MS Windows networking, the easiest way I've seen is to install the
   "powertoys" TweakUI utility and fill out the auto-login section. The
   "powertoys" are available at the Microsoft web site (as I'm sure you know).
   This works fine in conjunction with Fortres.

   If you need to connect to a NetWare share it gets a little more difficult.
   We are using Novell's Client32 for Win95 and following their instructions
   for setting up the NetWare account. Basically, it requires an account
   without a password and some tweaking, but it does work. It also works fine
   with Fortres.

   We haven't tried setting an auto-login with an NT server yet, although I
   would think it is possible.

   If you use an "auto-login" setup, the user/student will never see the login
   dialog box at startup. If you lock this away from them through Fortres (or
   whatever), they shouldn't easily be able to logout/login, screwing up the
   shares and printers. At least this is working for us.

   --Richard

    Richard M. Page                         | Voice      (405) 744-5347
    Head, Library Systems Department        | Fax        (405) 744-7579
    224A Library, Oklahoma State University |
    Stillwater, OK 74078-1070               | E-Mail: rpage at okway.okstate.edu