Server move

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jul 24 08:59:53 EDT 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Green <JFGREEN at CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wednesday, July 23, 1997 4:50 PM
Subject: Server move

>We are physically moving our web server from one building to another
>on campus.  Of course that means it's going to get a new host name and
>IP address too....

Overall, I agree with Roy Tennant's earlier post on this.  If users don't
need to know about the change in domain name, don't bother them about it.
At the moment, Wayne State's main library home page is at
www.libraries.wayne.edu, which is certainly the sort of name I would expect
if I were a student there.  If that name will work after your move, leave
everything else the same.  Our computers will be moving 70 miles next month,
and users should see no difference in their names when they come back up.

(In other words, just sit back and let domain name service do its job.  What
could POSSIBLY go wrong?  Bwahahaha!)

That said, our copy of Apache 1.2.1 does gives us a way to respond
differently to different host names in a CGI script, via the "HTTP_HOST"
environment variable (compare http://www.ohiolink.edu/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
and http://olc2.ohiolink.edu/cgi-bin/printenv.pl).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu