Browser designed for libraries?

Bill Drew drewwe at morrisville.edu
Mon Jul 21 12:53:49 EDT 1997

After seeing Dan's messages about how small a market libraries actually
are for Netscape and Microsoft,  it occured to me perhaps libraries
should be approaching a company to desgin a browser just for use by
libraries.  Here is what I would like to see in such a browser:

1. built in telnet/tn3270 with full VT compatability (remember Cello?)
2. built in WAIS, gopher support
3. Java/Active X support
4. Separate browser from e-mail.
5. available on all platforms
6. Built in Z39.50 support to do away with need for intermediary Z39.50
to web client.
7. Low space/memory needs.
8. Full multimedia support without plugins.
9. fully configurable with password protection of configuration.
10. Powerful kiosk mode.

Now, how would we get such a tool developed without going to Netscape,
Microsoft, or anyone else making any money?
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm