ALA participation -Reply -Reply

danforth danforth at tiac.net
Thu Jul 17 16:19:24 EDT 1997

Karen  and all,
    On Sunday June 29th, we had a small session on-line reporting from the
floor of the ALA in San Francisco.  SilverPlatter donated use of their
machine for a connection f rom ALA to Diversity University MOO.  There
JenK, a member of the Librarians’ Online Support Team (L.O.S.T.) presented
her impressions of ALA from the perspective of a first time attendee.  You
can see a description and log of this session at:
	http://www.gnacademy.org:8001/~lost/projects.html#newbie

  In April of 1996, Betty J. Turock, then president of ALA, hosted a
session discussing the Communications Decency Act.  A description and  logs
of those sessions may be seen at:
	http://www.gnacademy.org:8001/~lost/projects.html#turock

In the spring of 1995, some 450 people attended a virtual part of the
International Council on Distance Education which was physically being held
in the United Kingdom.

If ALA or any other group of librarians is interested in inexpensive,
virtual conferencing, I am more than willing to help get something
organized.  Perhaps we can grow something bigger for a connection or even
an online session from the ALA Mid-Winter in January.  We started a small
effort, where to go from here?

Isabel