CD to Web database migration

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Thu Jul 17 09:50:44 EDT 1997

There are some issues not mentioned that I think are compelling.  I am
grateful that a vendor is asking questions rather than making assumptions!

1.  Decentralization of information.  The new buzzphase is "distance
learning".  By moving to the web, the information and service is
available to more people, at more locations, for more hours.

2.  Common interface.  Not only are we moving to the web, but we tend to
move to large database suppliers that use one common engine over all
databases.  The user generally already has (or is willing to learn) web
skills, and by keeping the number of proprietary search syntax
learning/training issues to a minimum, the researcher enjoys a more "user-
friendly environment.

3.  Currency.  Because the market demands it, large web-based database
suppliers are usually able to get and load updates more quickly.  This is
my impression, but it may be a lie!

Speaking of "distance",  I remember my grandfather speaking of the
proverbial 5 miles from school.  Now the magic number seems to be the
proverbial 40 miles from campus.  I wonder if the census bureau knows that
no one lives either inside or outside of that 40 mile radius?!  :-)

Bob Jones                                    mailto:bjones at unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 620-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 620-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88