linux....

brian stone stone at imcpl.lib.in.us
Wed Jul 16 17:21:24 EDT 1997

Since Bill and Bob mentioned Linux,

Linux can be very useful in a library. We use it for name services,
internet gateways, web servers and mail. It can also be used for fire
walls, IP masquerading etc.... The price it right (free). It can even be
used for web opacs (we don't , yet) and provide a far greater security
and reliability than win95. Since libraries also get netscape free, you
can have a royalty free workstation. Runs fine on 486's w/16meg too.
Sounds kinda like a net-pc. Might be a tad of topic. I'll stop now.

Brian