New IE beta available.

Tony Barry tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au
Tue Jul 15 20:56:33 EDT 1997

At 2:43 PM 15/7/97, Bill Drew wrote:

>I got this message earlier today about the new Internet Explorer beta.
>I downloaded and it is great!!  If they keep going in the direction they
>are I will change from using Netscape as my default browser.
>

>From EDUPAGE -

>MICROSOFT EXPLORER DISCOVERS ... WINDOWS!
>The new test version of Microsoft's Explorer software for browsing the World
>Wide Web will be more closely coupled with the company's Windows95 operating
>system, with Explorer to be embedded directly into what Microsoft calls the
>"active desktop" of the computer screen.  The information and entertainment
>that will be delivered through "channels" available on the desktop will come
>from 250 companies, including Warner Brothers, Disney Online, CBS,
>Sportsline, the Discovery Channel, ESPN Sports Zone, the New York Times, and
>the Wall Street Journal. A Microsoft executive boasts that this new
>development "will bring millions of new people to the Internet," whereas an
>executive with rival Netscape argues:  "This is a scheme that Microsoft has
>cooked up to tie users in to Internet Explorer.  The key anticompetitive
>issue is that the user doesn't get to choose.  They trick the user into
>using Internet Explorer when the user doesn't want to."  (New York Times 15
>July 97)

Tony

mailto:tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au                |+61 6 249 5688
http://www.anu.edu.au/CNASI/People/TonyB.html |+61 6 288 0959

Ningaui Pty Ltd, GPO Box 1680, Canberra City, ACT 2601

Visiting Fellow,  Department of Computer Science,  Faculty of
Engineering and Information Technology.   Australian National
University,    ACT 0200   AUSTRALIA

Apologise for the stolen generation - <http://apology.west.net.au/>