Access

Paul Neff pneff at nslsilus.ORG
Tue Jul 15 17:32:42 EDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:56:46
>To: rmorgan at Harding.edu
>From: Paul Neff <pneff at nslsilus.org>
>Subject: Re: Access
>
>>>	If those vendors are also being used by public libraries, I sure hope
>>>they support access methods beyond IP addresses!
>
>At present, we have a remote access server (RAS) set up to mediate dial-up
connections to DOS databases using PC Anywhere, a peer-to-peer connectivity
product.  Patrons running PC Anywhere at home can dial into the server and
connect with peer workstations on the LAN running PC Anywhere in server
mode; we set up user accounts for this specific purpose.  It's cumbersome,
but it works.  We too are moving from CD-ROM products to Web-based database
services; our intent is to convert the RAS to PPP and use CHAP to
authenticate users much as PC Anywhere does now.

>The nice thing about that sort of setup is that PPP can be set up to assign
dialup clients a temporary IP address within the domain allowed by the
vendor, so if the vendor is OK with this contractually the problem is
solved.  (Of course, there are plenty of _other_ problems to worry about!)

  Paul Neff