Access

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Tue Jul 15 17:50:12 EDT 1997

> In a public library setting, I think if you want your patrons to access the
> stuff from home, no matter what you do, it will take a lot of time and
> effort to make it work.  I'm just glad I don't work in a public library, so
> that I don't have to worry about it.

Actually, I work at a university library, and we're attempting to do a
similar thing. We've just recently started getting requests from people
who take classes over our interactive video network to be able to access
some of our databases, like our Webspirs products, etc.

And to provide them this access, we're thinking of setting up some type of
password - type access through the web, probably through existing e-mail
addresses. LSU already does a similar thing, I believe.

So, even academic libraries have to deal with access problems.

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu