Access

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Tue Jul 15 14:30:16 EDT 1997

At 02:25 PM 7/15/97 -0400, Jerry Kuntz wrote:
>Ronnie:
>	If those vendors are also being used by public libraries, I sure hope
>they support access methods beyond IP addresses! We want to negotiate
>licenses for our patrons so they can access databases from home through
>their local ISPs. We don't want to hassle with coordinating IP addresses
>with 2 dozen ISPs, and we don't want to set up a proxy server that our
>entire service area will be routed through.
>	We're in the process right now of setting up barcode verification via
>IAC.

Ah, since I don't work in a public library, I didn't think of that.  But
also, I think the person asking was from a University anyway.

In a public library setting, I think if you want your patrons to access the
stuff from home, no matter what you do, it will take a lot of time and
effort to make it work.  I'm just glad I don't work in a public library, so
that I don't have to worry about it.

Ronnie

Disclaimer:  Views expressed are mine and mine alone.  My views or opinions
are NOT representative to Harding University.