NS Communicator Telnet Helper App

Ed Cherry cecherry at samford.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:28:05 EDT 1997

Sincere thanks to "Call me Bill" Drew for the right answer!
This works like a charm.  Now, the next question (rhetorical
only, no actual answer is needed or expected) is, why does a
spanking-new, 32-bit software package need a "bad old days" DOS
batch file kludge in order for a perfectly good telnet:// URL to
work!  Make me think the new version should be named "Netscape
Complicator." :-)

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997 06:43:14 -0700 Bill Drew
<drewwe at morrisville.edu> wrote:

> I found a solution on Netscape's newsgroups.  For Windows machines
> create a telnet.bat file such as this text in the file:
>
> c:\"Program Files"\QPC\QVTNET\bin\term.exe %2
>
> SEt the properties for  it s to cloes when finished.
>
> Now in Netscape Communicator, change the telnet in the applications
> section to:
>
> C:\Program Files\QPC\QVTNet\bin\telnet.bat %1 %2
>
> What this does is get rid of the first part that is wrongly passed to
> the telent program by Netscape Communicator.  The telenet.bat file only
> uses the second parameter which is the actual URL.  It works great.
>
> The above also works for setting up TN3270 programs.  Make sure to put
> the bat fiels in the proper locations specific to your system.  It seems
> to work with any telent or TN3270 program.  My exampleis specific to
> QVTNet.
> --
> Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
> SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
> E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
> Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
> Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
> Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
> LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
> SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm
> Support the anti-Spam amendment: Join at http://www.cauce.org/
> --

* Ed Cherry             *                              *
* Automation Librarian  * Phone:  (205) 870-2506       *
* Davis Library         * Fax:    (205) 870-2642       *
* Samford University    * E-Mail: cecherry at samford.edu *
* Birmingham, AL  35229 *                              *