Online library systems -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Mon Jul 14 11:54:32 EDT 1997

Just to remind everybody that every product has its
detractors, here is a bit more.

We like UniVerse, which is underneath our Geac Advance
system (6.5.10) (running DGUX, Data General's version of
Unix) on a DataGeneral Aviion 3000.  No problems, easy to
deal with, good support on the one or two occasions in seven
years when we've needed any.  We'll still be using it after we
upgrade this week (to Sun Enterprise 3000) and moving to
Advance 6.7.12.

UniVerse has its own user's group, its own magazine, and so
forth.  It is very widely used, although it may not have the
visible marketshare of some other products.  My bet is that it
is hiding under lots of systems, just as lots of PC database
applications packages are nicely done Access with runtime
versions of Access as an integral part.

To again show that opinions vary, our people on campus
wouldn't touch Banner with the proverbial ten foot pole.   Not
being involved heavily in those areas, I can't comment further.

dan