telnet from Internet Public access stations

David King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Fri Jul 11 19:38:26 EDT 1997

>What happens if a user clicks on another telnet link than your
>library catalogue?

Then they go to that telnet link. We don't restrict that.

>How do you restrict access to other telnet sites?

We don't.

>What happens if they click on other telnet links?

They go to that telnet site.

>We are also looking into ways to give access to telnet our provincial
>Internet security policy  does not allow us to give open telnet access on
>public stations without login identification with username and password.

There's the main difference. We really don't have a policy like that.
However, most of our patrons don't even know what telnet is, let
alone how to use it.

But, they do know how to surf the web. And if they need access to
the Library of Congress site (or other library OPACs, for example),
then we provide that.

As far as I know, you either set up the telnet emulator through Netscape,
or you don't... there's not much in-between.

David King
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Southern Mississippi
dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu