No subject

laura hudson hudsonl at ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri Jul 11 14:25:16 EDT 1997

Hey folks.  I have a couple of dilemas which should be easily solved, but
are beyond my limited expertise.

We here at Ohio University are hoping to have a Web front-end for our
network by fall.  We have a couple of issues to solve first involving
launching telnet and keeping stastics.  We think that both could be solved
with simple scripting, but aren't sure how to write said scripts, and are
wondering if anybody else has done the work already, knows where we should
look, or has any other tips for us.

1) We want to keep track of people *leaving* our Web pages, and where they
go.  We are wondering if anybody has written a CGI (or other) script which
will make a count in a file (the file itself indicating where they are
going), and then pass the person onto the page which they want to go to.
Or some other solution to this statistical dilemma.

2) We need to launch telnet applications, and need a script which will
launch telnet and  key in the username and password automatically.  We've
been doing this using CUTCIP but now with the Web front-end we can't do this
any more as easily.  Anybody found a simple solution?

Much gratitude in advance,

Laura Hudson
Alden Library Reference Department
Ohio University Libraries