is it time yet... -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Fri Jul 11 13:09:44 EDT 1997

>>> earl young <eayoung at cais.com> 07/10/97 08:16pm

to have grown tired of messages telling everyone how tired
they are of
the filter thread?

Earl Young, tongue firmly in cheek

---------------------
Sure.  But what we're seeing here is a basic example of list
behavior that ALL lists go thru time and again.  It goes
something like:

A. Contentious topic starts
B. Debate gets roaring
C. Debate degenerates into repetition, drum beating, and ad
hominem attacks
D. Various folks start flaming about the bad and/or repetitive
E. The debaters start a new war with the complainers.
F. First amendment rights are cited (NONE of which have a
thing to do with list "rights"....there is no right to do anything
on a list)
G. A debate on first amendment gets going.
H.   Either "go to step A and repeat as necessary", OR
"people finally get tired and it fades away when even the
flamers burn out on it:.  I always hope for the latter option in
H.

dan, owner of fourteen lists for seven years