filtering as collection development

Robert Hubsher rhubsher at cornwall.library.on.ca
Fri Jul 11 13:12:56 EDT 1997

Ed Cherry wrote, in part:

> My understanding of collection development is that, in addition to
> choosing to not buy some material for the library, you DO buy other
> material.  The material which is selected is then subjected to
> rigorous authority control, cataloging, and
> classification.

I am sorry but I cannot let this one get by without a comment.
Libraries do not analysis the content of encyclopedias or collected
works to the extent that is implied in the statement above.  Does that
mean we have not selected the encyclopedia?

I agree that the Internet is not a book, however, I still believe that
it can be compared to an encyclopedia.  True enough there are many
"authors" and/or "publisher" but the analogy works although it does
require us to rethink the definitions of "formats".  Rethinking how to
deal with new formats and emerging technology has been a part of
librarianship for several hundred years.

As an aside libraries can provide "added value" to Web sites by
cataloguing them and including these bibliographic records in their
catalogue.  There are now Integrated Library System vendors that sell
web cataloguing software which allows libraries to include the bib
record in their database with the URL attached so that a patron can link
to the site if the item meets their need.
--
Robert Hubsher, CEO
Cornwall Public Library

613-932-4796 (voice)