Library web site guidelines

Thomas Keene (LIS) keene at luna.cas.usf.edu
Thu Jul 10 20:59:47 EDT 1997

There is a really great collection of documents on web design, usability
and the human-computer interface that was put together after an ACM
conference.  I use it all the time in the Web Design & Management course I
teach here at the University of South Florida to impress on my students
that web authoring is more than just slapping tags and animated gifs down
on the page.  The course may be the first time in their lives that they
have heard there is a science to information delivery.  Delving into
design issues at more depth than is available to them in most books on
html authoring noticeably changes the way they approach creating web
pages.  For the better.  One more reason why librarian types should be the
ones to teach web page authoring instead of the College of Engineering or
MIS faculties, I think.

The collection is called "Design, Design, Design" and you can find it at
http://www.acm.org/sigchi/webhci/design.html

     Tom Keene, Visiting Instructor
     University of South Florida
     Internet:  keene at luna.cas.usf.edu