'Cyberlibrarian' or 'Tech Guru'???

Stephanie Stokes stephanie at friendcalib.org
Thu Jul 10 15:18:44 EDT 1997

INTRO
I recently created a bakers dozen of free web images for library
use for my 'Library Media & PR' Web Site...put a comment form
at the bottom...asked for comments..said I would take requests.
Visitors requested more...everything from western, teens,
intellectual freedom, bookmobiles, etc.

Downloads of the existing artwork show visitors like
the images I assumed would make banners for a page (within
your site) of either bookslists for 'off the shelf'
collections or a 'list of links' to sites of that theme.
Example, the most popular image was WORLD's FOUND a take
of off the book & movie LOST WORLD. I knew there where
a ton of great educational dino sites --you get the picture,
or rather you or someone downloaded it ;-).

I BEGAN TO WONDER - GIVEN THE RECENT THREAD & COMPLAINTS
How many of you are 'cyberlibrarians', not the 'tech guru'
and hang out/lurk on this listserv because you need to be
savy on tech talk. And in between catch a glimmer of trends,
tips and ideas because you somehow are involved (or at some
point) in the process of making the Internet happen at
your library?

MY QUESTIONS ARE?
Who is doing the web surfing at your library? Are most
of you wearing both hats as 'tech' and the 'cyberscout'?

Or is the librarian of whatever department giving you
a list they have surfed/seached/developed on their own and
you do the coding, etc?

Or are the librarian/dept buiding their own page or
online departments, bring them to you to 'put this on the
server'?

Is WEB4LIB apart of your 'creative process' as you 'build'
the information highway as well as a technical guide?

You wish people would leave more postings on...what?

Stephanie Stokes
Library Media & PR
http://www.ssdesign.com/librarypr/