economics of internet access

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Thu Jul 10 15:07:00 EDT 1997

Laura Quilter wrote:
>Once again, we can ration the
>access points (restricting hours available on the machines), or we can
>ration by content.  Unfortunately, in this case, rationing by content
is
>not going to solve the problem -- of not enough access points.  To
solve
>the problem of not enough access points we would still have to ration
>access to the machines -- and, in fact, that is the only step required
>solve the problem of not enough access points.  Other steps -- such as
>content restriction -- are unnecessary add-ons.

So why isn't content restiction of books an "unnecerary add-on".
Resource allocation by content certainly doesn't solve the problem of
book scarity either.  (Although, I have seen some "give them only the
good stuff" collections that seemed to approach this "solution" ;-> )

It seems like this particular thread has ended up as "allocation by
content is/is not a good way to ration scarce resources", and let's just
say that's a matter more of philosophy than anything, and we agree to
disagree.

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us