children accessing porn; adults turning off filterware

brian stone stone at imcpl.lib.in.us
Wed Jul 9 19:12:20 EDT 1997

Dianne,

You make some good points. This problem is primarily a guy thing.
Perhaps that is why you understate it. This is not just an issue of
young boys driving their parents crazy. If we allow all children access
to pornography, some will not be damaged, but others will. How many kids
should be sacrifice to this problem?  Should we make heroin legal
because only a small percentage of the population will abuse it? It may
be small, but it will be larger than it is now. You may think that this
is not a valid comparison but both pornography and heroine can lead to
addictions that can ruin peoples lives.

I'm guessing here, but I suppose the "adult men with low self esteem"
you  might mean men who have a problem with pornography. If so, why
would any of us want to contribute to an increase in that population.
The "low self esteem" men of today were the confused adolescents of
yesterday. Does anyone believe that these men are better fathers,
husbands or role models than those without "low self esteem"?

A subscription to playboy does not help a young boy develop a healthy
attitiue towards women. What's available on the internet is much worse
and can cause much greater harm to young minds. I want my kids and your
kids to grow up whole. It is not their responsibility to make correct
choices, it is ours. If the kids are damaged, it is our fault.

This is a very big problem. Why do you think that porno sites are by far
the most popular sites on the web. It's way beyond being explained by
Curiosity.

Libraries should not be part of this problem. No one should expect that
it is their right to access pornography in their public library. There
are many places better suited for this.

Intelligent filtering works. At least better than any other solution
that has been suggested so far.