OK, now I'm confused.

Kevin C. Marsh KMarsh at Information.org
Wed Jul 9 12:11:39 EDT 1997

Steve Thomas wrote:
>I have an online catalog that is text based. I want to upgrade to a catalog
>that people can access on the web. I also want to mount community
>information databases, commercial databases, image databases, and web
>resources.
>
>Do I need a web server with a Z39.50 interface?  or a  Z39.50 server with a
>web interface?

You need:

1. A Web server
2. A Z39.50 interface (CGI script or other method) that acts as a Z39.50 client
3. A Z39.50 server (This might be a Z39.50 module for your existing catalog
software.)

I like the Apache Web server for Unix machines, and there is a free Z39.50
client package that integrates with that Web server even better than a CGI
script.  For a freeware Z39.50 server I like Zebra from Index Data in
Denmark.  See http://www.indexdata.dk/zebra.html

>What's the diference? or Is there a difference?

See http://www.indexdata.dk/webz.html for a good overview of the
relationship between the Web and Z39.50.

>Thanks for any help you can give me.

You're welcome!

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director
Information Access Institute