ALA filters/sub-issues

Sara Weissman/Morris Cty Library WEISSMAN at main.morris.org
Tue Jul 8 20:05:49 EDT 1997

A nation of librarians who are confusing graphical web access with the Internet?It is not about content; it is about the impact of images (a picture is
worth ...). We have just reached the 4 yr mark here as Internet provider
to 440,000 people. All this hoo-ha does not come up here *because we are
using Lynx* (So, one answer is: just provide text based web access..
tell your public you cannot, on their tax dollar, afford the software
and/or staff policing to protect them from their own concerns, perhaps?)
You have gynecology and urology texts sitting on your shelves that would
"freak" people out, if they knew they were there. The uproar over
protecting children from pictures seems to assume at least great
impatience, if not actual sub-literacy, on the part of the young.
As posted to PubLib...the 4H piglet competition and cake contest of the
Sussex Cty (NJ) Fair is being blocked because of s-e-x ...that is
simply ludicrous. Even a child would know better. I suspect we will
look back on this five years from now and be astonished at the
energy and spleen we wasted ....