Filtering: Push vs. Pull

Anna Trupiano anna at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Tue Jul 8 12:27:42 EDT 1997

At 10:33 PM 7/7/97 -0700, Randy Anderson wrote:
>Anna,
>
>Push is not really push but an rules oriented agent that resides in
>connection with the browser.

True... so future browsers will have the ability to accept or reject
the pushed information?  Or will browsers default to acceptance (some-
what similar to COOKIES.TXT where you are bugged-to-death, until you
accept)?

>Someone tells the agent what you are
>interested in and at what frequency you want to check a single server or
>multiple and away it goes.

Do I as the end user determine what information gets pushed at me?  Or
just by virtue of connecting to a business site will my hard disk drive
be filled with unwanted information?  The latter is my understanding.

>While I assume that you would not want each user to tailor the browser
>with this type of tool

Definitely not!

> it might make a great tool for use by the central
>library pushing updates to all library browsers connected.

Yes, I can see where this might be an advantage.

>Randy Anderson
>Kirkland Library Board
>rmanders at sprynet.com

But it still seems to me that filters will be necessary in conjunction
with this sort of "tool" (if only to maintain storage workspace), even
assuming that I control what information gets pushed at me.  Frankly,
that would be a unique situation... who really "controls" what they get
even now???  ;-)