It's ok to turn off your computer

Michael Iorns m.iorns at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Jul 7 21:50:56 EDT 1997

Hi To Rosalind's question:

In the following I am just following a train of thought so please
forgive me if I go over basic ground. It also may be way off. If
you know DOS you know how to do this already.

If it is due to the Minisoft (and they all always say its not their
software) what could it be affecting which makes that your start state?

Perhaps it is damaging your registry/settings in this hang, or is
hanging from encountering them damaged.

A reinstall of win95 is very likely to preserve existing settings. I
know network settings are largely preserved, as I've done it. If the
minisoft communications software  ( is this network comms? tcp?) is
causing an error perhaps it too is being retained. We see there's at
least the possibility of this occuring, so can assume other things
may do it too. We should be able to just remove the relevant settings
file, but may not be spot on in identifying the cause. Lets use a hammer.

Try deleting the entire windows directory.
Can you boot from floppy? (I assume so) Use the Win95 bootup which we
KNOW you have made at least one of :-)

Your CABS directory is probably retainable if it exists on your brand
of pc. On my pc it is in c:\windows\options\cabs so I'd:

  mkdir c:\saved\options
  xcopy/s c:\windows\options c:\saved\options
(maybe xcopy/s c:\windows\options\*.* c:\saved\options)
(I'm retaining the directory containing cabs because the
 options directory contains setup.exe as well as the cabs)

Some of the files might be invisible or system writable only therefore
not deletable so change that before deleting:

  attrib/s -h -r -a c:\windows\*.*

  deltree c:\windows

and then try running setup.exe from in options., or cabs, or the floppy
if you have to. And copying options back into windows.

Doing this full deleting and reinstall of windows is one approach.

Oh, by the way. Have all the machines been in service at all
(you say out of the box) or rather, what is the likelihood of
their having had any history of people switching them off without
going through shutdown?

Cheers
Michael

               Michael Iorns|Private Bag 3105|iorns at waikato.ac.nz
        Computing Consultant|    Hamilton    |Ph(64)7 838-4466x6737
  Waikato University Library|  New Zealand   |Fx  " " 838-4017

               Michael Iorns|Private Bag 3105|iorns at waikato.ac.nz