children accessing porn; adults turning off filterwar

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Jul 7 17:31:14 EDT 1997

     David: Laura was pointing out that a position CAN be argued in favor
     of broader children's rights than what is usually argued. I happen to
     agree with her position, which isn't a surprise, and I won't go into
     now in the interest of bandwidth preservation. Suffice it to say that
     kids DO experience open access to the stacks in most public libraries.
     I certainly checked out any adult book I wanted to when I was a kid
     using the Kansas City public libraries. No librarian said No to me.

     But you do make a good point about the difficulties arguing such a
     position in a charged climate like a city council meeting or a TV
     show. It's not something I would seek out.

     Let me say here that i think you made a good point at the Filtering
     session at ALA about your point of view NOT being represented on the
     panel. Here's hoping that they put you on any similar panels at future
     meetings. Even though I disagree with most of your positions, they
     should be heard.

     Chuck