browser i.p. access

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Mon Jul 7 13:42:45 EDT 1997

One way to restrict browsers to a particular site or set of sites is to
point them to a proxy server and set up the proxy to allow only traffic
to the desired sites.  You can prevent users from changing or deleting
the proxy settings in the browser with IKIOSK.  Any addition or
subtraction of allowed sites to the proxy will change the access for the
browsers pointed to it, simplifying administration.

If you want to get fancy, you can also set packet filtering rules on your
router to prevent outbound traffic from the IP addresses of the browsers
you want to restrict, but permit traffic from the proxy.  In this way,
even if a user managed to change the proxy settings in the browser, he
still couldn't go anywhere without going through the proxy.  This step is
probably a little extreme for most cases, though.

Chuck
Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Network Services Librarian
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002
      -=>HPL's Homepage: http://sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us<=-