browser i.p. access

Bill Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Jul 7 12:21:21 EDT 1997

Shaun Mason wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Shaun Mason and I'm a reference librarian at Randolph-Macon
>
> College in Ashland, VA.  This is my first post to the list and it is a
>
> question.  My situation is this.  We are using a web based OPAC for
> remote
> and local access to our holdings.  We want to be able to restrict
> access to
> our catalog only, through a few of our public p.c.'s.  We are
> currently
> running Windows 3.11 and Netscape 3.0 on these machines and Sirsi's
> Webcat.
>  As far as I know products like Fortress and IKIOSK can't limit what
> you
> browse by i.p. address (our Sirsi server).  Does anyone know of a way
> prevent users from browsing all of the Internet from these stations?

It CAN be done using Netscape and IKIOSK.  First set the homepage to the
URL for your OPAC.  Then unselect the location box and other items you
want to hide from the user.  Then run IKIOSK and select the various
menus you want to disable including the Go to items and such.  This
procedure should work without any problems.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902

E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm