It's ok to turn off your computer

Rose Taylor rosalind at sinnfree.sinnfree.org
Mon Jul 7 09:43:27 EDT 1997

These pc's have been out of the box, using minisoft for communications software, fortress and ikiosk.  Not used for internet, I have gone into bios to prevent booting from floppies, put password on bios, set up fortres so nothing can be run from floppies.  When this "Its ok to turn your computer " occurs, no application is available. I have reinstalled win95 from disks that are still enclosed in plastic because these were all brand new machines.  It makes no difference.  Sometimes it will occur to the same pc, other times I never have a problem with it again. All pc's that this has occurred to with the exception of 1 have no irreplaceable data.  The exception is a staff pc, it was upgraded to a p100 and it's happened 3 times to that machine.  No downloading has occurred, and again I have used only brand new disks to reinstall.  The staff pc has win95, Office95, and an accquisitions system that runs from the server.  This use to occur quite frequently early on when we converted to a WAN, however now, its only occurring once every 3-4 months.  One pattern I have noticed on the opac's is that this is most likely to occur when minisoft is running,the pc's gets hung and the machine is restarted.  Minisoft saids its not their software, IKIOSK says same as well as fortress.Thanks...