ALA on Filtering

earl young eayoung at cais.com
Sun Jul 6 23:24:29 EDT 1997

No, but they do get a paycheck from the citizenry - and are
consequently  unsurprised when the customers exert political clout in
order to direct their activities.  I agree that we need to defend an
open environment in the libraries.  I don't agree, however, that we have
achieved some mystic karma that makes it okay for us to disdain and
disrespect those who don't agree with our point of view.  The "we're
smarter than you unwashed yahoos" serves only to anger, and angry people
work all the harder as a result.  My argument is not with the arguments
- its with the attitude.  Arrogant government units pay - sooner or
later - a high price for their indulgence.  Even the education
bureaucrats (as opposed to educators) are beginning to learn that
lesson.  Some of the messages on this list just reek of sarcasm and
condescension.  That's a dangerous attitude in a government employee.

Do you argue that your work is more important to the overall health of
the community than the work done by the road department?  Is it because
it actually is more important, or just because we need to go to school
longer?  I don't wish to be argumentative, but I remain puzzled about
the roots of our arrogance.