Filtering

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Thu Jul 3 20:15:42 EDT 1997

>Not yet, but we've started showing this kind of capability in a general
>sense.  We'll be starting tests of it with large customers soon.  Some of
>them are corporate libraries.
>
>The idea is to allow many such virtual catalogs to co-exist, so the children
>could be using a different one from the adults while sharing the same
>collection underneath.

When you say collections and catalogs, do you mean that the resources to be
accessed are contained in a database? That the Web pages themselves are
contained in this database, not just an index of sites? How would this
extend to the Web?  The problem I see is that once you're out on the Web,
how do you keep people from hyperlinking to their heart's content without
having some sort of site blocking mechanism?

Sheryl Dwinell
Cataloger/Database Management Librarian
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3542 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu