Selection

Shaken Angel jbfink at ogre.lib.muohio.edu
Thu Jul 3 16:54:39 EDT 1997

I think the argument by the pro-censorship folks on this list about how
filtering is okay since libraries already "filter" by the selection of
materials process is a bogus one.  The Internet, merely by being brought
into the library, is "selected".  Making inaccessible parts of the
Internet through the arbitrary application of morality is, in my mind,
akin to ripping out pages 23, 46 and 54 of some book because you don't
like what was said on those pages.

I don't think any librarian would dream of ripping pages out of a book.
However, the selection argument can still be applied here.  One can view
the Internet as a single product like a book, or a magazine.  You don't
like something in the product, exercise your rights as a selector and
don't buy it.  Simple.

-- john f., miami university library systems.

Speaking, as nearly always, for myself.