Netscape mail?

Anna Trupiano anna at palos-verdes.lib.ca.us
Thu Jul 3 14:00:23 EDT 1997

At 07:02 PM 7/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Christopher Locke wrote:
>
>> At 08:05 AM 7/1/97 -0700, Jill Hamrin Postma wrote:
>> >I noticed a "mention" about disabling the e-mail in Netscape yesterday.
>> >Can anyone tell me how to disable the e-mail (at the public access
>> >terminals)?
>>
>> from the top menu bar select "Options," then "Mail and News
>> Preferences," then wipe the information from the Servers,
>> Identity and Organization tabs.   won't work after that unless
>> someone enters their own info (highly unlikely).
>>
>> best
>>
>> chris
>
>Chris,
>
>Although the method you mentioned will work, our patrons have no problem
>entering their own information into these fields, attempting to access
>their own e-mail.  I have found enough messages downloaded to know that
>some of them have succeeded in the attempt.  Considering the wide-spread
>use of Netscape at home, it shouldn't come as any suprise that most
>patrons will know how to get past this.
>
>Andrew Mutch
>Northville District Library
>Northville, MI

There are other ways to disable this...

1)  Use any Windows Resource Editor (usually comes with C+ or C++
    compliers -- both MS and Borland put out packages) and edit
    NETSCAPE.EXE to either "gray out" or eliminate whichever Options
    (Mail/News Preferences) you don't want patrons playing with.

or

2)  Use IKIOSK (http://www.hypertec.com/) to do the same!  Hypertec
    has downloadable "beta" versions for MS Win 3.1/Win 95 and ultimately
    they have a very reasonable cost/workstation license fee (if you decide
    that this is viable for you).