Reverse Pornography "Cookies"

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Thu Jul 3 07:32:28 EDT 1997

Alright, all you "filtering" types - listen up:

We know about cookies. Very well, on public access Web terminals in
public libraries, we initiate a 5-minute "clean-up" librarian to check
the cache of the previous user (this can be easily accomplished in places
with 30-minute usage regulations). During this 5 minute period, the
"filterer" will filter through the cache, and go to any possible "no-no"
sites. If the accessed site goes against all the grains of common decency
;-) then a "reverse" cookie will be attached. This reverse cookie will
function as a censor, and disallow that particular bit of offensiveness
from ever returning to that particular library web site. Clean the cache,
and open the Web up to the next victim - ah, patron.  Repeat at 30 minute
intervals.

Simple, clean, and effective ;-)

Barbara Stewart
University ofMassachusetts, Amherst