Nasa

Geoffrey McKim mckimg at indiana.edu
Thu Jul 3 07:29:40 EDT 1997

While I don't want to insert myself into this debate at all, this issue is
compounded by the fact that Netscape and Internet Explorer, in an attempt
to be "helpful", will fill in the ".com" automatically if no top-level
domain is specified.  That means that if I type "nasa" or "whitehouse" in
the Location box, I will get "nasa.com" or "whitehouse.com".  It may not be
a matter of people mistaking .com for .gov -- rather, one merely needs to
type in "nasa" and they will get the bogus site.

Best wishes,
-geoff

>Not to necessarily defend David on this, but I think the point HE was
>trying to make is that most people (especially kids) will forget that
>it's nasa.GOV and type in nasa.COM since that's so much more common.
>The site operators are obviously trying to "cash in" on that and are,
>unfortunately, placing ads for "Naked Eyes" right there on the page.
>The ads show see fully nude women plainly visible to the viewer
>without even having to claim they are 18.  It IS an unfortunate
>"abuse" of people's natural tendency to type in COM instead of GOV or
>ORG or whatever.
>
>I'm still not in favor of filtering in libraries.
>

>Gina A. Emory
>Technology Manager
>East Bonner County Library District
>Sandpoint, Idaho  83864
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Gina_Emory

Geoffrey McKim
Indiana University School of Library and Information Science
http://www.kiva.net/~mckimg/personal/