a question

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Wed Jul 2 12:30:27 EDT 1997

Tari Keller wrote:

>  If they have the equipment to run graphics, libraries will
> give their users the world.  And it looks like Bill Gates is going to see
> that they have the equipment!

Is Bill Gates going to pay for high bandwidth connections? No. And the
May FCC Universal Service Discounts ruling will provide discounts to
schools and public libraries on a first-come, first-serve basis, with
the significant discounts going to applicants on the basis of federal
school lunch program statistics (if you're curious about how school
lunches measure telecommunication needs, join the crowd!). We'll see.
Most public libraries are a long way from providing online (as opposed
to PPP) graphical connections for their patrons.

				Jerry Kuntz
				Ramapo Catskill Library System
				jkuntz at rcls.org