CDA

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Wed Jul 2 12:23:00 EDT 1997

Sheryl Dwinell wrote:

>>What examples can you give of this under typical library conditions?
By
>>that I mean keyword filtering off, and only porn filtering enabled.
>>Which filter currently in use in libraries under library conditions
>>blocks sites on breast cancer?
>

>CYBERSitter.  You cannot disable the keyword filter.  And, there are
>libraries that are using CS.  What happens is that you are unable to
>perform a search using a search engine for any blocked word.  So, you
can't
>search for 'breast cancer' or 'chicken breasts' or 'Enola Gay' or
'fairy
>tales'.

I just downloaded the latest version of CYBERSITTER to verify that this
was still true, and yes, it is true.  When you type "sex" or "the f
word" into a search engine, nothing happens.  And no, you cannot turn it
off.

I know that some schools are using Cybersitter.  I didn't know that any
public libraries were.  They should switch to CyberPatrol, a much better
product.  Aside from the lack of keyword flexibility, Cybersitter has a
pretty nasty reputation, for threatening to sue people, for blocking
competitors sites, for not being responsive to unblocking sites, and it
is rumored they are affiliated with the Christian Right.

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us