Filtering: beyond porn (was:Re: CDA

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Tue Jul 1 12:01:00 EDT 1997

Jon Lebkowsky wrote:

>I was rather shocked by the discussion on the FILT4LIB list, the sense
that
>many librarians want to implement filtering software. I wish I had some
>sense of the percentages...I always assumed (especially having, as
David
>Burt says, "wrapped myself in the ALA position") that librarians were
>inherent free speech advocates. If this is not the case, I think we
>(activists) should spend more time talking to librarians.

I'll just say this one last time.  There are "grey areas" in free
speech, such as flag burning, slander, libel, false advertising, and
filtering.  Just because someone takes a position contrary to free
speech absolutists (and that isn't meant as an inflammatory comment),
doesn't mean they are not a "free speech advocate".  Ronnie and I both
consider ourselves "free speech advocates", but we would both draw the
line a little closer than you, that's all.  We simply disagree.

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us