Panorama and SGML

Erwin Wodarczak ewodar at unixg.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 31 17:29:31 EST 1997

Has anybody out there tried to use SoftQuad Panorama to read SGML documents
on-line?

So far I have failed to get Panorama to work.  I downloaded it (the freeware
version, that is) from the SoftQuad site, set it up on Windows 3.1, and
configured Netscape 3.0 Gold to launch it when encountering an .sgml file.
But whenever I try to follow a link to such a file, I get a series of
on-screen error messages that tell me that PANORAMA.EXE has caused a general
protection fault, etc.

I also tried configuring Netscape to download SGML files to my hard-drive,
so that I could launch Panorama by itself and use it locally.  However, when
I tried this, a message came on-screen saying that only Panorama *PRO*
allows you to read SGML files from the hard-drive.

Any suggestions for getting Panorama to work the way it's supposed to would
be most appreciated.

Erwin Wodarczak - Records Analyst / Archivist
UBC Library - Special Collections and University Archives Division
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: ewodar at unixg.ubc.ca
Tel: (604)822-5877   Fax: (604)822-9587

We do precision guesswork based on vague assumptions and unreliable data
of dubious accuracy