Virus warning

Sarah Nesbeitt, Maxwell Library snesbeitt at topcat.bridgew.edu
Fri Jan 31 11:27:02 EST 1997

I know, I know, let this thread die - but you CAN occasionally get a
virus by reading mail - our whole department was infected with the
Microsoft Word Concept Virus, which is a macro virus that can corrupt
MS Word documents.  It can happen if you use a MIME-compliant e-mail
program such as Eudora, and you receive an e-mail message with
a virus-infected MS Word file included as an attachment.  Our dept. has
had several MS Word files corrupted in this way.  Microsoft has a
"disinfection" program somewhere on their web page.

However, this is NOT what the poster referred to, and you're right that
it's a hoax, but some viruses (like macro viruses) can be spread through
e-mail.

Sarah Nesbeitt
Reference Librarian (and general web person)
Maxwell Library, Bridgewater State College
snesbeitt at bridgew.edu