Web surfing for the blind - help please

NLSNIDER at aol.com NLSNIDER at aol.com
Thu Jan 30 08:58:32 EST 1997

The very helpful recent suggestions on sources for web surfing for the blind
suggests the observation that speaking technologies can be of value in our
libraries to many more than just those who are blind.  Many patrons who
cannot type or are not computer-literate also joined the rank of the
handicapped when we decided that we could not have both card and elctronic
catalogues.  Computers that could understand spoken queries could benefit
these of our brothers and sisters as well as those who lack good vision.

BTW, this is a problem that affects library users across the spectrum.  I
know of a Ph.D. who directs one of our state's premier research groups and
who also cannot type.  We have turned him into a handicapped library user.

Norman L.
nlsnider at aol.com