Frames discussion

Knut Hegna knuthe at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jan 30 01:38:41 EST 1997

Hi everyone,

One year ago I tried to improve the searching in our catalogue by using
frames. I have not done anything with it since then. Mainly of reasons
discussed earlier in this thread.

It is a window divided in three parts horizontally. In the upper window
the user enters her search string; in the middle the program shows short
entries hit list; in the lower the full records are presented. This adds
functonality to the searching:

1) you see your string all the time and you may edit it.
2) your short entries hit list is available all time
3) you may switch hit lists in the middle window (the windows are not
properly identified, though, in this experimental version).
4) you may switch records in the lower window.

If you want try this (hope you have a large screen :-) ), the address
is:

    http://www.ifi.uio.no/~knuthe/frames/eng/bottom.html

I've also tried to improve the floor plan presentation (with links from
shelves via classification system to catalogue). This definitely needs a
large screen ! Through this searching you suddenly enter records with
Norwegian headers, sorry).

As this is only an experiment I hope I don't get framed (excuse me
"flamed").

Best regards,
Knut Hegna

--