using frames

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at mhv.net
Wed Jan 29 13:11:17 EST 1997

Nancy Spoering wrote:

> Earl Young wrote:
> >
> >      How many of your users are still on Lynx?  Does it make sense to spend
> >      lots of attention on them if it means you are taking away from work
> >      that will be seen by a larger audience.  I do not know the answer -
> >      just asking the question.
> >
> A good deal of our users use Lynx, because we are part of a freenet that
> doesn't give SLIP access to account holders.  Lynx is what they get;
> after all, it's free to them.  We always design with text-based users in
> mind.
>
> Nancy Spoering
> Community Relations
> Springfield-Greene County Library
> http://www.orion.org/library/sgcl/index.html

We're supporting Lynx for our member libraries, many of whom still have
dumb terminals and slow connections. Replacing the dumb terminals with
PCs and finding the money for faster connections is less of a problem
than getting NYNEX to install the newer frame-relay lines (6 months and
waiting).
The query I posted to the list a couple of days ago about the bandwidth
demands of Lynx vs Netscape with graphics turned off was posed in the
context of what to do for our libraries with PCs, but limited bandwidth
connections in to our central net server. Which would place less stress
on those lines, or is there little difference (my guess was that
Netscape might be better, since all the client side stuff would be done
locally)? No one's responded yet, which means it's either an incredibly
stupid question, a real stumper, or totally uninteresting.

			Jerry Kuntz
			Electronic Resources Consultant
			Ramapo Catskill Library System
			jkuntz at mhv.net